We aim to enable communities to develop their educational institutions with
an emphasis on literacy, health and nutrition.
- Support for Primary school buildings; provision of school desks, library furniture
and funds to support the development of primary schools by the local community, initially
in Hareto, and in Nekemte and surrounding rural area.
- Science Equipment for Schools.
- Nekemte School Libraries Project – Initiating and fostering the development of
school libraries (furniture and books) in Primary Schools where previously there were
none. All the earlier funding was directly from Exeter-Ethiopia Link, but since 2012 this
project has been supported by UK Trusts with grants totalling £20,000.
- Instigating the School Libraries Award Scheme and training primary school librarians
in good practice ensuring good use of the library. Funding community librarians for some
- Supporting the setting up and resourcing of reading rooms for grade 1 – 4 children
in primary schools, and training teachers to use these centres.
- Training grade 0/1 teachers in improved teaching practice. The result is that
children are receiving one reading lesson a week in English and one in Afan Oromo.
- Production of big and mini books for the centres – produced by Grade 9/10 children
who are deaf. Money earned funds tutorials for them.
- Supporting the development of two centres for learning disabled children, including
the introduction of vocational training.
(Click on a picture for a full-size version and a slideshow.)
- Training adults with disabilities in making and production of classroom furniture and
resources for schools.
- Nekemte area Early Learning Project – supporting the education of children below
the age of 6, where previously there was none. Also supported with over £3000 from
grant-making trusts, and now being developed further through a link between Plymouth
University and Nekemte Teacher Training College. Development of playgrounds for Early
Learning using local resources.
- Initiating and supporting 11 partnership links between schools in Devon and schools
in the Nekemte area.
- Setting up and resourcing a Cluster Training Centre. Employment of Ethiopian
Education Manager through DASSC to manage EEL Education Projects.
- In June 2014 EEL started with support from UK AID a 3 year inclusive education
project aimed at supporting children with disabilities to access schools. Our local
partner, Nekemte Rehabilitation for People with Disabilities, will be working with 150
schools over the 3 years to provide training to teachers, set up disability clubs in the
schools and facilitate surgery and mobility devices for children to enable them to access
school. In addition cluster resource centres will be set up to enable schools to borrow
assistive devices. We will keep you updated with this exciting new project.
There is an update on the Inclusive Education Project in the report of a visit to Ethiopia in February 2017 on the News page.